Anaesthetic & Recovery Room Update Course
Recovery room and anaesthetic nursing occurs in a highly specialized environment. Thus there is a need to ensure our nursing staff are equipped with the knowledge and skills necessary to manage the patient during the peri & post anaesthetic phase in the operating room.
The Anaesthetic Assistant nurse is an integral part of the Theatre team. With a solid grounding in basic pre, peri & post anaesthetic procedures, the anaesthetic assistant will contribute toward a well controlled professional working environment. The update consists of didactic lectures, group discussions and hands on practical skills.
This Anaesthetic Assistant & Recovery Room update course will provide the nurse with a safe reliable method for the care and management of the pre, peri & post operative patient plus the basic knowledge to;
- Assess the patients condition accurately and rapidly. Using the primary and secondary survey method.
- Make accurate observations and interpretation of the patients vital signs and GCS, taking into account the patients diagnosis, medical history and type of surgery.
- Be able to anticipate any problems which may arise and be prepared to take appropriate action.
- Be fully versed with the latest international (evidence based) CPR protocols as set by the American Heart Association.
- Ensure that optimum nursing care is provided to the patient in the theatre clinical environment.
- Assist the anaesthetist with various techniques such as;- rapid sequence induction, laryngeal and endotracheal tube placement, regional anaesthetic such as spinal & epidural blocks.
Course includes formal AHA BLS, ECG & Pharmacology and Airway & ventilatory notes.
AHA Airway Management notes, AHA BLS for HCP manual, AHA ECG & Pharmacology notes. Pocket mask with one way valve & gloves in hard case.
Written and skills tests are required for course completion.
CERTIFICATION UPON COURSE COMPLETION:
Emergency Care Education Anaesthetic & Recovery Room certificate
BLS CPD certificate (CPD-accredited by the Health Professions Council of South Africa for 10 Continuing Education Units)